Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Trip to Pulau Ubin

Pekan Quarry, Pulau Ubin
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

This morning I took a trip to Pulau Ubin where I joined a friend for location recce as he's planning for an outing in the coming months. In fact I was helping him to find the best location spot for sunrise photography. Well to our little disappointment, it didn't turn out as we have expected. Well what the heck. We have had a great fun exploring the island. It's been many years since my friend's last visit. As for me, it's almost 3 years.

Make the jump for more Ubin adventures and photos.



There are some changes in Pulau Ubin, not major ones though. Well, there's a new chalet lodge near the Jetty which is alot convenient than the other one on the west side of the island. The new chalet is called Ubin Lodge

The other change/improvement is the opening area of Pekan Quarry as pictured above. I really like the view of the landscape under the morning sunlight. We rented bicycles and in search for Ubin Quarry. We found it in the end through the thick vegetation and discovered an opened trail leading to the quarry that looks like this.

Trail to Ubin Quarry
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography


I couldn't really recall the trail I used to trek years ago compared to the present day. It was all based on my memory and I'm still delighted to find this trail. We took some time to make it to the top. Both of us have not been exercised for a long time and this form of trekking and hiking came in as an informal training for us. Well. still manageable. Once we reached the top, we took a rest and walked about taking photographs of the landscape view before our eyes. Here are 2 panorama shots I took of the quarry.

On top of Ubin Quarry, railings are built for safety purpose.
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

Landscape view of Ubin Quarry from the highest point of Pulau Ubin.
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

This is the highest point in Pulau Ubin and based on these 2 images, we're facing the Northwest direction. Notice the railings and safety signboards on the first image. it wasn't there when I came up there 3 years ago. it goes to show that NPB has opened up this spot for public visit, well if island trekkers/visitors know of the entrance from the main road. I would not elaborate further on this detail here. You have to go the island and ask the Park Ranger yourself for direction. No apology.

OK here are three more images I took at the quarry top. We are not supposed to go beyond the railings safety marking but we just didn't bother. Well the railings weren't there when I first visited and the experience of standing near the edge is just magnificient. Certainly not for those weak hearted and height phobia people. Ten minutes after we reached the top, a couple arrived. They too went over the railings to enjoy a better view of the quarry landscape.

A couple enjoying the landscape view.
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

My friend taking photographs.
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

Enjoying the landscape view.
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

Me, enjoying the landscape view.
(Foto Courtesy of Bernard Goh)

After taking enough pictures, we decided to make our way back to the main road. Hence we followed the trail downhill, which to our surprise, was easier than we thought or expected. We managed to go back to our bikes and we hit the main road heading towards the west side of the island. First, we stopped over for some drinks at one of the villagers' lodge, pictured below.

Citronella Oil Prevent Insect Bites
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

Villager at work.
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography

After the rest, we made our way to the far west of the island and came across Kekek Quarry. It's alot smaller than the rest of the 4 Quarrys on the island. My friend took another shot of me while I was taking a snapshot.

Taking snapshot of Kekek Quarry
(Foto Courtesy of Bernard Goh)

Well that's about it. We called it a day and rode back to the Jetty and back to mainland. So far my phone camera is doing a very good job. All the images you see here were taken with my Sony-Ericsson Vivaz mobile phone. So until then, on my next trip to Pulau Ubin, I would go to Chek Jawa Boardwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment